Become a Mentor
Welcome to our Mentor information page!
Thank you so much for your interest in our program, however, Explore Austin is NOT accepting Mentor applications at this time. We will begin our Mentor recruitment process again in Fall 2017. If you are interested in becoming a Mentor, click HERE to add your email to our list. You will receive a reminder and calendar of Mentor recruitment events when the 2017 application is live.
Can’t wait that long to get involved? Become a substitute Mentor today! As a substitute Mentor, you can fill in on existing Explore Austin teams for full days of programming. Subbing is the best possible way to learn firsthand about the program, spend time with our Explorers, and learn from current Mentors. You will still be eligible (and encouraged!) to officially apply as a Mentor in the fall. Fill out the substitute Mentor form here!
Meet our MENTORS and check out THIS document to help you decide if being an Explore Austin Mentor is for you.
The Mentor volunteer position includes:
- Ongoing volunteer opportunity with a 2-6 year commitment
- Regular programming one Saturday a month during the academic year and one week in the summer
- Direct mentoring to 15 Austin-area teens, alongside 4 co-Mentors
- Outdoor activities taught by professional Trip Leaders including rock climbing, mountain biking, canoeing, backpacking, and hiking
- Involvement in strong community of 90+ fellow Mentors
- Live in Austin
- Have a love of the outdoors (or want to cultivate one!)
- Are committed and caring
- Have experience working with youth
- Hold a strong desire to give back
- Demonstrated leadership experience
Alternatively, if you:
Have experience instructing rock climbing, mountain biking, navigation, canoeing, or hiking
Want to introduce your skills and passions to those who might not otherwise get the chance, and get paid doing it
Want to work part-time in Saturdays and in the summer
Want to connect with our Explorers and Mentors
Our paid Trip Leader position may be a better fit for you! Check out the job description and application process HERE.
Neither of these the right fit, but still want to be involved with Explore Austin? Check out the Friends of Explore Austin tab here.